Andrew B. Jordon
Karen W. Haddad
Lew C. Tyree COL (Ret)
Charles R. "Rusty" Webb
Mary Jean Davis
The Charleston Urban Renewal Authority was created in 1952 by the City of Charleston, West Virginia as provided under West Virginia Code, Chapter 16. These Code Sections provide for public health and slum clearance and give the agency the power and direction to develop community renewal plans to focus on the elimination of slum and blight.
Charleston's Urban Renewal Program began in earnest in 1958 with the Planning and Execution of the Summers Street/Boulevard Project. This project consisted of 2 3/4 blocks bounded Kanawha Boulevard, Capitol, Virginia and Court Streets. New development included Charleston National Bank (now Chase), Charleston House Holiday Inn (currently the Ramada Hotel) and Shanklin Parking Lot.
With this success behind it, the CURA embarked on two additional projects called Government Square and Triangle. Planning began in 1965 and 1966 respectively and required 3 years to complete the planning and financing.
The Government Square project consisted of a 10-block area from Clendenin Street to Laidley Street and from the Kanawha Boulevard to mid-block toward Lee Street, East. The Triangle project was bounded by the Government Square project, the Elk River, Interstate 77, Laidley Street to Washington Street and along Summers Street to Interstate 77. These two projects had an estimated cost of approximately $30,000,000.]
Government Square and Triangle Project Developments
CURA was also involved in a small neighborhood revitalization program in the Shelton-Sentz area. Redevelopment included:
CURA led development of the historic downtown core through the implementation of the Downtown/Old Charleston Urban Renewal Project prepared by the Charleston Renaissance Corporation.